Village Updates from Oak Park and River Forest
The Advocacy Committee of the Oak Park River Forest Chamber of Commerce promotes the flow of information between member businesses and our local municipal governments and taxing bodies. We do not engage in lobbying but rather work to ensure that all of our members have access to the information relevant to their businesses. The Chamber through its Advocacy Committee also works to ensure that businesses understand the process to raise issues or get help from local government.
Each month, members of the Advocacy Committee review the Oak Park and River Forest websites, looking for information that might be relevant to Chamber members. Links to that information are posted below and on our blog. Oak Park businesses can also find notes from the monthly "Business Association Council" meeting on our Business Districts webpage.
Plastic Bag Ban in Oak Park?
The Energy and Environmental Commission of the Village of Oak Park has been asked by the Village Board to research plastic bag usage throughout the community and to make recommendations regarding any restrictions that they might want to consider. The Commission completed a survey of the general public regarding the issue and they would now like to reach out to the business community to get business owners' input.
BUSINESSES - PLEASE PROVIDE INPUT BY COMPLETING THE SURVEY
Click here to complete the survey online, or
Click here to download the survey (which you must complete and send to Village Hall)
Note that the City of Chicago recently passed an ordinance limiting the use of plastic bags at chain stores (excluding dining). If you are interested in the details of that ordinance, view a Youtbe video outlining the requirements and provisions by clicking here.
Oak Park Roundup - May 31, 2015
Business-related items approved from recent Board of Trustees minutes as found on the Village of Oak Park's website as of May 31, 2015
1) A Resolution Approving an Increase to the Letter of Credit with PNC Bank from $9,500,000 to $10,000,000 for the Construction of the Public Portion of the Parking Garage at 150 Forest Avenue and Increasing the Project Budget by $100,000
2) Motion to consent to the Village President’s Appointment of: Building Codes Advisory Commission - Tim Kelly, Appoint as Chair Citizen Police Oversight Committee - Josh Luttig, Appoint as Member Civic Information Systems Commission - Blagica Bottigliero, Appoint as Member Community Development Citizens Advisory Committee - Catherine Bendowitz, Appoint as Member Community Relations Commission - Donna Brown, Appoint as Member Disability Access Commission - Erica Henry, Reappoint as Member Disability Access Commission - Kathleen Yannias, Appoint as Member Housing Programs Advisory Committee - Debby Macey, Appoint as Member Plan Commission - Monica Sanders, Appoint as Member Public Art Advisory Commission - William Greffin, Appoint as Chair Transportation Commission - Michael Stewart, Reappoint as Member
3) A Ordinance Declaring Surplus Revenue in the Village of Oak Park Downtown Tax Increment Finance District Special Tax Allocation Fund for the 2013 Tax Year and Authorizing the Payment of that Surplus Revenue to the Cook County Treasurer for the Distribution to Affected Tax Districts in a Pro-Rate Basis
4) Resolution appointing Village Trustee Adam Salzman as Local Liquor Control Commissioner was approved.
River Forest Roundup - May 31, 2015
Business-related information culled off of the River Forest website by the Chamber's Advocacy Committee:
Planned Development Application - 7280 W. Madison (Hines) There will be two upcoming meetings regarding the following application for Planned Development Permit Application #15-02: Planned Development Application for The Promenade Townhomes, 7820 W. Madison Street (Hines), River Forest, Illinois. The applicant proposes to change the use of the property and construct 29 attached townhomes in five buildings, with a lanscaped common area, fencing, guest parking, lighting and other improvements. A copy of the application is by clicking here. For more information, see http://www.vrf.us/news/429-update-planned-development-application-7820-w-madison-hines/
Traffic Alert - Madison Street Improvement Construction Starts June 1 For more information, see http://www.vrf.us/news/424-traffic-alert-madison-street-construction/
Proposed Development at Lake and Park - see http://www.vrf.us/news/423-proposed-development-lake-park-faq
Northside Stormwater Management Project
Work on the Northside Stormwater Management Project began on Monday, April 6, 2015
On January 26, 2015, the Village Board of Trustees awarded a bid for construction of Phase 1 of the Northside Stormwater Management Project (NSMP). We expect this project to begin around April 1, 2015 and last through November 2015.
• A separate storm sewer system will significantly reduce basement backups caused by sewer backup.
• On-street flooding will be significantly improved. The new storm system will provide new capacity that will discharge storm water directly to the Des Plaines River.
• All the streets being constructed will be resurfaced curb to curb once the project is completed.
A dedicated website about the Northside Stormwater Management Project can be accessed at http://nsmp.vrf.us/
2014-2015 Capital Improvement Projects – Green Alleys
The Village of River Forest was fortunate enough to receive an Illinois Green Infrastructure Grant (IGIG) and will be using it to install permeable paver alleys in the Village. These installations will help prevent standing water, filter pollutants from the stormwater runoff, and drastically improve the driving surface as compared to the existing deteriorated asphalt.
River Forest Government Agendas and Minutes
Interested in joining the Advocacy Committee? Concerned about an issue relevant to businesses in Oak Park or River Forest?
We'd love to hear from you. Email us or call the office. (708.613.0550)